SMP install (was Re: new debian-cd scripts)

On Thu, May 14, 1998 at 01:18:52PM +0100, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 1998 at 08:03:07AM -0400, Eric Leblanc wrote:
> >
> > Just out of curiousity, i was wondering if a plan existed to install a SMP
> > kernel during the installation procedure? Right now, AFAIK, you have to
> > install the kernel source and recompile the kernel for SMP which is akward
> > when you need a server fast.
>
> Perhaps we may create a Debian/Beowulf distribution, like the recently
> announced RedHat/Beowulf (can't remember the code name). IIRC, someone
> suggested working in that project a few months ago...

SMP is Symetrical-Multi-Processing which is not a cluster like the Beowulfs
are. It is just 2 or more CPU on the same motherboard. It doesn't need
special software just a SMP enabled kernel.

What i was thinking was more like making SMP kernel-images available.
Like it or not, SMP machine are getting less and less scarce and it would
be nice, for Debian users to be able to set up a server/workstation easilly
right from the cdrom or ftp install.

I'll gladly package a SMP 2.0.33 kernel-image if there is no objection.

A second step, would be for the installation to reconize that we
are installing on a SMP capable machine and install the appropriate
kernel. Instead of the UP 2.0.33 kernel, install a SMP 2.0.33. Maybe
this can be achieved easylly by having a resc1440.bin with a SMP kernel
a bit like the way we have a resc1440tecra.bin.

I haven't tried installing hamm yet, but isn't the kernel installed on the
HD the ones from the rescue disk? I seem to recall so from the last bo
install i did a while back. It could be resonably easy, we just have to
make available a resc1440smp.bin and a drv1440smp.bin.

> Well, I guess that's not Debian's main concern, (do we want to work on
> "specialized" distributions, like "Debian for HAMS"?, or do we leave
> that task for others?). Perhaps a subgroup of our developers may want to
> organize that thing.

I'm not really proposing a new distribution. Just some modification on the
actual Debian that could enable us to offer a nice service to our users.

Regards,

--
Eric Leblanc -- jughead@generation.net -- Be happy use GNU/Linux
As for the M$ pundits claim that the problems result from an