Re: new debian-cd scripts

Rev. Joseph Carter wrote:

> On Thu, May 14, 1998 at 11:38:14AM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:
> > > (I plan to work on 2.88MB boot disks, but that will have to go to slink).
> >
> > Hmm... why restrict ourselves to rescue 1440s on bootable CDs?  We have
> > oodles of space (well, I know we don't, because the CDs are full, but we
> > have several megabytes, surely).
> >
> > Why not put a good half a dozen kernels for various common options (coupla
> > different SCSI cards, etc) on the CDs?  In fact, surely there's room for a
> > 20M of so base system?
>
> Please note that for some of us, bootable CD's don't.  My system supports
> them, but the Debian 1.3.1 CD will certainly hang my machine if I try to use
> it.

I have a similar problem...on my old machine my RedHat 4.1 disk would boot...but
I have never seen the debian disk boot properly (I burned an "offical"
1.3r6) it just tries and fails.
but personally...I dislike bootable CDs with a passion...mostly becasue
A) I cant eject a CD while the machine is OFF
B) I can't SEE a CD in the drive (and tend to forget if one is even in there)
C) On some systems I like to leve a CD in the drive for convinece
ie. On my old server, I had NO monitor and left the RedHat 4.1 CD in the
drive (way before I tried Debian)..so I could do installs of packages I may need
later without walking downstairs and into wher eit is to put a CD in the drive
one day I had to reboot (I forget why...I think I recompiled the kernel)
and I issued the reboot command through my telnet session...
the connection closed and I started pinging its IP...
after 5 mins went by and still no replys...I got worred...
then I went downstairs...put a monitor ont he machine and saw it sitting
at RedHat install screen!
and remember not every system has a BIOS that can disable booting
from the CD (that particular machine did not...my current one does)
-Steve