Re: Undeclared dependencies on menu

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:
> Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > In general this is a problem with APT too
>
> Is it really? I'd think that for this to be a problem with apt, apt would
> have to allow libstdc++ (or whatever) to not be installed, and then
> processed to install menu and packages that depened on it. I thought apt was
> smarted and would see menu depended on libstdc++ and proceed to install the
> library first?
>
> You speak about the problem being with packages not being configured, but
> I think update-menus will work fine even before menu is configured. And menu
> will work ok before any of the libraries it depends on are configured, so
> long as they are installed at all.

     This was a somewhat unusual set of circumstances, and may not
occur very much, if at all, in the future.  I was testing the latest
base-install disks, and used the new feature that permits the user to
choose between 3 pre-selected package assortments.  Therefore, in
dselect I went from "Update" directly to "Install", so dselect didn't
have an opportunity to complain about dependencies not being
satisfied.  menu was unpacked, but not configured, so when the
postinst called update-menu it failed because it couldn't find the
missing library.

     Presumably, there won't be any unsatisfied dependencies when 2.0
is released.  (My mirror was last updated 5/11; I received e-mail this
morning advising that libg++272_2.7.2.8-0.1 is in the archives now.  I
am running mirror at the moment to update my mirror.)

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>