Re: Lilo..

Paul Slootman <paul@wau.mis.ah.nl> writes:

> On Wed 29 Apr 1998, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
>
> I still saw problems last weekend with mbr.b not being written to
> /dev/sda when installing frozen with the 04-11 boot-floppies. I
> did that by hand "dd if=/boot/mbr.b of=/dev/sda bs=444" and after that I
> could boot from the disk.
>
> And yes, I did answer 'y' to the question "install a boot block" or
> whatever the exact message is.
>
> Note that this only happens on a virgin disk or a disk that otherwise
> doesn't have any remains of a previous installation on it (e.g. dos; the
> dos primary bootstrap also works).

I happened to have the same problem and found that the lilo.conf was
wrong on my system. It said:

boot=/dev/hda3

instead of

boot=/dev/hda

and so the bootblock installed by the disks wasn't used because it was
on the wrong place.

Maybe thats a general problem, but I don't want to reinstall my system
again to check if it was my or the systems error. Any voluntier?

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn