RE: Lilo..

I had similar problems with Windows NT and large drives on
2940UW controllers.  The problem appeared to be the wide bus
mode setting  ( I forget the exact wording in the adaptec setup).
If I changed the setting, the machine would not boot from the
drive until I either low level formatted the drive or changed the
setting back.

I eventually took to setting all the options to default, then
enabling the ultra mode, then installing the OS and not touching
the card setup again.  There were four of us working on those
machines, so the simpler we made the setup the less we had to
remember and document.

Pat