Re: Lilo..

(What did I wrote? The quoted paragraph is Paul's one). :-)

> > I still saw problems last weekend with mbr.b not being written to
> > /dev/sda when installing frozen with the 04-11 boot-floppies. I
> > did that by hand "dd if=/boot/mbr.b of=/dev/sda bs=444" and after that I
> > could boot from the disk.
> >
> > And yes, I did answer 'y' to the question "install a boot block" or
> > whatever the exact message is.
> >
> > Note that this only happens on a virgin disk or a disk that otherwise
> > doesn't have any remains of a previous installation on it (e.g. dos; the
> > dos primary bootstrap also works).
>
> I happened to have the same problem and found that the lilo.conf was
> wrong on my system. It said:
>
> boot=/dev/hda3
>
> instead of
>
> boot=/dev/hda
>
> and so the bootblock installed by the disks wasn't used because it was
> on the wrong place.

No, lilo is in the right place. For the master boot record (first 512
bytes in /dev/hda) we use mbr.b, as Paul said. The bug was that the
system didn't install mbr.b when one asked it to do so, (and did install
it when one asked it _not_ to do so). That bug has been fixed in
bootfloppies-2.0.5 (the current version is 2.0.6, uploaded to master
yesterday).

	Thanks,
--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es