Re: Improvement ;)

Martin Mitchell <martin@debian.org> writes:

> Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>
> > > 1. Add lines in \etc\fstab automatically or with a menu to mount
> > > other partitions.
> >
> > dragon_disk can partition, prepare and activate swap and prepare and
> > mount linux partitions.

> Is this an improvement on the current base-disks, which already do this
> quite nicely?

Similar, but you can call it any time, not just during installation.
Thats what anoyed us most on the installation. Its a one way
ticket. No reconfiguration later. We tried to change it.

> > I'm thinking of writing dragon_source or dragon_build (or some other
> > name) to build (download, unpack, patch, compile, build) Debian
> > Packages.
>
> Doesn't dbuild[1] handle this adequately?

It doesn't check dependencies. I want to make the script smart enough
to check the dependencies of the to be build binary. Any Package it
depends on should have its -dev twin installed and probably the
depended package as well. Also some "help if something goes wrong"
funktions would be nice.

> > > We don't have to compromise the technical superiority, but we sure
> > > can make it pretty.
>
> I happen to think the slang interface used by dinstall looks quite pretty,
> do we need another?

I don't like the current interface, the old one was better and more
consistent. But one cant argue about taste.

Whats missing is that one can call the program again to change some
settings and a graphical frontend would be nice. The first one we
already implemented, the second one we are working on (as well as
completing and extending the Dragon tools).

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn