Re: [grave] libstdc++2.8 needs versioned dependencies

Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> writes:
> In article <E0yNs7J-0006ws-00@miles.econ.queensu.ca> you wrote:
> > I just received another bug report (#20978) on Octave not being able to
> > run. I had already reassigned the first such report (#20033) to libstdc++2.8
> > which does *not* introduce versioned dependencies on its libs even though it
> > is incompatible with the previous release. Because of the missing versioned
> > dependency, dpkg thinks that the older (first-generation) libstdc++2.8
> > package satisfy the dependencies.
>
> I think we should backout egcs and libstdc++2.8 from hamm and go back to the
> old g++.  For one, altg++ doesn't even work with it.

Just to throw more fuel on this rather old fire, when I compile jade
with egcs's g++, the program tends to dump core rather regularly.  By
backing out to g++272 vintage, the problem went away.

My guess is that it could either be a bug being tickled in egcs, in
libstdc++2.8, or in the code itself.  AFAIK, with the new exception
handling in egcs, it's entirely possible that jade doesn't trap
certain exceptions it should be trapping, and that's where the problem
lies.  Just curious what any others thought.

[Please CC me on any replies]