Intent to package hesiod

I intend to package Hesiod, assuming nobody else has done so.
I also need a mentor for the finer points of Debian distributions.

Hesiod is part of the MIT Athena suite.  It publishes information
via DNS/BIND, and in many ways is comparable to NIS.  The introduction
of secure zones (in bind-4.9) allows you to restrict publication of
information to your domain, removing one of the major issues which
prevented the widespread use of Hesiod in the past.

This package also demonstrates how Hesiod can be used to publish
Debian specific system information:

 - Debian "available package" information
 - Debian "installed package" information

Finally, the package demonstrates how Hesiod can be used as a
secure(r) replacement for finger resources.  The sample configuration
shows how to publish a user's:

 - personal web page
 - 'xface' image
 - PGP public key

I'm sure that this list will be rapidly expanded!

A preliminary package has been posted at

  http://www.dimensional.com/~bgiles/debian.html

This is my first attempt at Debian packages and this version has
some very rough edges.  There's no discussion of secure zones.
(Technically, this is a bind issue but Hesiod may be the first
application that really needs it.)  It doesn't offer to restart the
BIND daemon after installation, although it does prompt the user to
do so.  It doesn't clean up /var/named/boot.option like it should.
It desperately needs an INFO file to describe how to use it... and
*I* need feedback on how people think it should be used.

As some of the example data suggests, I'm also working on a
Kerberos 5 package (export restricted, alas, but with shared
libraries and eBones this shouldn't be a major hurdle),
Zephyr (messaging) and Moira (system administration).  Kerberos
can be used by LPRng, ssh, xdm, and undoubtably others.

Bear Giles
bear@coyotesong.com