Re: dselect bug?? client-only installations of X..

Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:
> Does anyone else feel that better behaviour for dselect (or for apt's front
> end, when it materialises, maybe) would be to question you about recommends:
> initially, but thereafter accept that you know what you're doing?

     I have long felt that dselect should accept it when the user
overrides a recommend, and not repeatedly bring it up over and over
again.  I have had packages deleted because I overlooked them the nth
time that dselect popped up the conflicts/dependency screen.

     A major contributor to the problem, however, is not dselect, but
developers using recommends where suggest is more appropriate.  I am
afraid that many developers have never read the Packaging Manual and
the Policy Manual from start to finish, and may not be fully aware of
the interpretation dselect places on recommends.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>