US-only packages (Re: Intent to package hesiod)

At 14:45 -0600 1998-05-10, Bear Giles wrote:
>As some of the example data suggests, I'm also working on a
>Kerberos 5 package (export restricted, alas, but with shared
>libraries and eBones this shouldn't be a major hurdle),
>Zephyr (messaging) and Moira (system administration).  Kerberos
>can be used by LPRng, ssh, xdm, and undoubtably others.

Hmm... I think it needs to be determined how (or if) Debian should handle
export restricted packages.

I personally feel that we should take the {Net,Free}BSD approach, which is
to put export restricted files in a separate directory, and display a
disclaimer to the effect that "files in this directory may be export
restricted by US regulations, it is your responsibility not to export these
files. Debian and the operator of this site cannot be held responsible for
potential export of these files" upon login, and also when entering the
directory.

For example, here is the README.export-control file from ftp.netbsd.org:

<<
GIVEN THE NATURE OF THE SOFTWARE MADE AVAILABLE UNDER THIS PROGRAM
IT IS HEREBY NOTED THAT ALL SOFTWARE, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE
WHICH CONTAIN ITAR CONTROLLED CONTENT, ARE BEING MADE AVAILABLE FOR
GENERAL ACCESS UNDER GENERAL TECHNICAL DATA AVAILABLE (GTDA) AS
PROVIDED FOR UNDER THE U.S. EXPORT REGULATIONS

BECAUSE THE SIZE OF THE ARCHIVE AND THE QUANTITY OF PEOPLE WHO USE
IT, THE OPERATORS OF THIS SITE ADVISE ALL USERS THAT IT IS THE
LEGAL OBLIGATION OF THE INDIVIDUAL WHO ACCESSES THIS ARCHIVE TO
COMPLY WITH THE U.S. STATE DEPARTMENT REGULATIONS WHICH GOVERN THE
TRANSFER OF CERTAIN SOFTWARE PRODUCTS WHICH ARE DESIGNED TO MEET
MILITARY SPECIFICATIONS (LIKE AERIAL MAPPING) AND/OR USED IN
MILITARY APPLICATIONS (PRODUCTS WHICH CONTAIN THE DES ALGORITHM
FOR FILE/DATA ENCRYPTION).

The directory should be outside of the normal Debian directory tree so it
isn't accidentally mirrored, but, required to be in a specific place within
the normal directory tree on mirrors that carry it.

--
Joel "Espy" Klecker    <mailto:jk@espy.org>    <http://web.espy.org/>
Debian GNU/Linux Developer...................<http://www.debian.org/>