Re: monochrome cards

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:
>On Thu, 30 Apr 1998 vaidhy@wwdg.com wrote:
>
>> 2. Make sure that the color monitors are supported automatically from the installation screen itself.
>
>Thats a good point, who actually has a truely MONO screen anymore? [...]
>I think machines with a mono video card (ie a herc) would be unable to run
>Debian in the first place, and a greyscale screen doesn't need mono
>support.

I decommissioned my 386DX-40 with a Hercules knockoff less than a month
ago; it was running the same version of Caldera as my primary system.
I have no doubt that this system would run Debian... and run it very
well.  (Esp. considering I just installed a complete Debian package,
including X-windows, on a 486-_33_ at work!)

That said, I can't see anyone using a MCA card as his primary
interface.  I certainly wouldn't have objected if I had to install
a VGA card to run the installation program.  How much space would
be saved if the MCA code is dropped?

Hmm...  maybe I should install X-mono on that 386.  Not that I expect
it to be particularly useful, but it's an *extremely* impressive
demonstration for people who don't realize just how little compute
power is required to support browsers, basic editors, etc.

Bear Giles
bear@coyotesong.com