Re: on forming a new Linux Distribution

>If someone has the desire to install an operating system on a computer
that is created,
>supported, and distributed by volunteers they should expect to have to do
some amount of
>reading to configure the system to their liking.  When someone does the
install and
>then proceeds to cry because the system doesn't do what their friend's
does,
>without being willing to read and follow the documentation I quickly lose
patience.
>It is a different issue if the person reads the documentation and doesn't
>understand it, or the solution is not in the documentation.  At least the
person has
>*tried* to help themselves.

No problem here.  As I said I *DID* find the answers and got my debian
installation to talk to my
ethernet card after making use of available documentation.  But it was not
Debian specfic documentation that
was most helpfull, but rather general linux networking and slackware
specific documentation that gave me my answers.

>Yep, lots of apps need to be ported - are you volunteering?

Ok put your money where your mouth is eh?  I'm not yet at the point where I
could make the kind of
contribution that I'd like to.  First I need to get my own system in order
(I'll end up starting from scratch with
debin 2.0 when it is ready for prime time).  Then I need to learn how to
program GUI under X (which standard? Motif etc?), I currently know MFC
under windows professionally.

>As with most free things, you get out what you put in.  If you want a
system
>that is easy for the "casual" user, you need to develop that and be
willing
>to hold the hand of all the "casual" users when they don't understand why
>the system is doing what they told it to, not what they think it should be
>doing.

Yes I'd also like to help improve system friendlyness for the begineer.

>I applaud Bruce for attempting to follow this goal, and wish him the best
of
>luck in the endeavor.  I hope it meets with better success than the Linux
>for Hams project.

Maybe Debian should become linux for hams.  How about a default
configuration for amateur radio users?
And solicit more ham radio packages.  I'm willing to write / port some, in
the near future.