Re: on forming a new Linux Distribution

From: Martin Schulze <joey@kuolema.Infodrom.North.DE>
> What I read from Bruce here recalls a discussion on linux-kernel where
> Linus made the following statement:
>     Ooh, mommy, mommy, what I have now doesn't work in this extremely
>     unlikely circumstance, so I'll just throw it away and write
>     something jcompletely new.
> 	    -- Linus Torvalds

It doesn't seem to match the current circumstance. I'm not proposing to
throw away Debian, but to address a different target from Debian. Splitting
off sounds a lot gentler than pulling a Boris Yeltsin.

[ Focus on the user issue ]
> This is the case for a lot of debian developers, not for all of them,
> I have to admit.

I think it's too large a number for me to go against.

> This implicates a lot of projects the single project can't fulfil.  It
> also includes some goals that it may fulfil.

Obviously, we can't do everything by ourselves. We can provide a framework
to support the work of others.

> Please tell us where we have to improve our mechanisms according to
> your oppinion.

Oh gosh, you're not serious, are you? My solution would be rather draconian.
The alternative I've chosen is much better than a draconian one.

> What is mainstream?  Rpm might be mainstream as most other
> distribution have chosen it as their package manager.  Hey, this
> doesn't make it any better,

We seem to have established that it's functionaly equivalent to dpkg.
It can use a better user interface.

> MS Windows is mainstream, too.

And you should know that we'd love to have a WINE or TWIN that worked.
That would make lots of users happy, and a free-software Windows system
would not necessarily be technically bad one.

> 	Obviously, the easiest way to do that is to derive from Red Hat.
> If so I feel offended that you posted this on the debian-* lists and
> not on redhat-*

Oh, they'll hear about it too. I do still get mail from the "please come
back" folks on debian-devel, you know. I don't think coming back is a
realistic option, Debian and I are going in opposite directions.

> Isnt' there already a distribution based on Debian?

No, there isn't. Somebody took a little of our stuff for some French
dist, but it's not Debian.

> Wasn't this one of the reasons Mike Neuffer and Dominik Kubla left?

Yes, but their project did not succeed. Dominik was the only worker and
had no time.

> I don't think you seconded that goal at that time.

Gee, maybe I should have. Can't I change my mind in 3 years?

>> 4. Maintaining the Open Source standard of Linux.
> Cool idea but this breaks 1. (Focus on the User, remember?).

I don't believe that. Yes, some stuff needs improvement or replacement
(like LyX), but free software is pretty fundamental to other goals of the
project. Let the derivers add the non-free stuff.

	Thanks

	Bruce