Re: on forming a new Linux Distributionx

Bruce Perens writes:
> 	I think Debian's drifted too far from the mainstream of Linux
> 	to continue to fulfill this purpose. A non-commercial

I'm sorry, Bruce, but could you give us some details about this. Where has
Debian drifted from the mainstream?

> 4. Maintaining the Open Source standard of Linux.
>
> 	We're at the point where we don't really _need_ "non-free" and
> 	"contrib" directories any longer - all packages in the system
> 	should be Open Source - let someone else distribute the rest.

I have to disagree strongly. I just checked my system and found some
packages from contrib and non-free that I wonder how to replace:

- all graphic packaages with GIF support
- some parts of TeX
- gs-aladdin (granted there is a free version, but what if you need a fairly
      new printer driver?)
- pgp
- all java stuff
- lyx
- tripwire

> 5. Open Development.
> 	I am proposing development visible to all, but not a free-for-all.
> 	A core group of limited size to maintain the base system and oversee
> 	the rest probably _is_ necessary. I am not planning to copy the Debian
> 	constitution - I'd rather have the Bazaar-Method management we used
> 	for the first few years of the project.

You propose a lot of the stuff Dominik Kubla proposed quite some time ago.
Back then we (and I think this includes you) were against it, which caused
Dominik to leave the project. How come you changed your mind?

The rest of your ideas, though, look pretty good.

Michael

--
Dr. Michael Meskes, Project-Manager    | topsystem Systemhaus GmbH
meskes@topsystem.de                    | Europark A2, Adenauerstr. 20