Re: Conflicts between developers and policy

Manoj,

Was my previous mail really that annoying ?  If so, I apologise profusely (I
was fairly tired at the time I wrote it, so may have started to be rather more
argumentative that I meant to be)

I think we actually hold fairly similar opinions about this subject.  Did you
ever see my previous attempt to calm this discussion down a bit ?

> 	No one said policy is all encompassing. It does not have any
>  loopholes. Errors of omission shall always exist. Not errors of
>  commision.

I thought you had by implication.  I was clearly wrong, sorry.

That's probably what gave rise to my extreme characterisation of your
arguments.

> Philip> In either case, having a policy statement that claims to be
> Philip> the final authority will gain us nothing, and could be
> Philip> actually harmful.
>
> 	I disagree. It would have stopped at least one person, namely, me.

Fair enough, lets put it in then ;-)

Anyway, I think you've started being just a little argumentative now,
since I don't believe that you, or anyone else for that matter, wants to
violate policy in a destructive way.

You seemed (to my tired eyes) to be accusing people of objecting to:

  Policy should be followed, except where a discussion about the clause in
  question is still ongoing, in which case the maintainer may indulge in a
  policy violation if they feel it is a technically superior approach.

James Troup, Dale Scheetz, or anyone else have a problem with this ?

My only objection was that there was no need to include a clause like that in
policy, because it is self evident.  This discussion has conclusively proved
me wrong about that, so lets put such a clause in policy.

Cheers, Phil.