Re: PROPOSAL: Services, inetd and xinetd

On Apr 28, Inaky Perez Gonzalez wrote:
>         I'm a rather new and very happy Debian user, and some time ago
> while testing hamm/unstable I came trough a problem I thought deserved
> some time.
>
>         I like better xinetd than inetd, so I installed. Despite of it
> trying hard to xlate inetd.conf, new services added won't correctly
> install into new xinetd.conf, and thus you lose consistency and have
> to add them by hand (not a pain for somebody who knows what's up, but
> a big pain for a newbie).

We already discussed this problem about one year ago. The result
was the following solution:

The main configuration file is /etc/inetd.conf. If xinetd is
installed the first time it should create /etc/xinetd.conf based
on the current /etc/inetd.conf. If you install a package that
adds an entry to /etc/inetd.conf using update-inetd (which uses
DebianNet.pm) and /etc/xinetd.conf is present either update-inetd
should add this entry or it should call a different update-xinetd
tool. The former xinetd maintainer said that he'll write the
necessary functions for DebianNet.pm but I never got them so I
can't add them to DebianNet.pm.

If somebody writes these functions (or a seperate update-xinetd)
I would be happy to change update-inetd/DebianNet.pm to use them.

>      update-services         [update /etc/services]

Normal packages are not allowed to modify /etc/services (it's a conffile
of netbase) for a couple of reasons. /etc/services is a static file which
contains a standard set of service names, it's not comparable to other
config file where you add and remove entries when you install or remove
a package. It is important that the service names and port numbers are
compatible with the "assigned numbers" RFC and other unix systems otherwise
it could happen that some unix systems can't talk to each other because
they don't use the same port numbers for the service.

Thanks,

Peter

--
Peter Tobias <tobias@et-inf.fho-emden.de> <tobias@debian.org> <tobias@linux.de>
PGP ID EFAA400D, fingerprint = 06 89 EB 2E 01 7C B4 02  04 62 89 6C 2F DD F1 3C