Re: netstd tools in the base system (was Re: What to do with /bin/perl symlink?)

On Apr 28, Alex Yukhimets wrote:
> > - Remove usr/bin/ftp and usr/bin/telnet from the base system.
>
> Oh, no!
> Please don't remove them.
> They are very convenient and necessary tools when you are installing on some
> local network and to setup proper routing you need to chek other local
> machines and download some configuration files from them.
> Box without telnet and ftp is no box.

We have the following possible solutions:

a) let the base disks install ftp and telnet and ignore the fact that
   these tools are not registered in the dpkg database until netstd is
   installed.
b) move ftp and telnet to netbase.
c) move ftp and telnet to a package that will only be installed when you do
   a new system installation (a package that can only be installed by the
   base disks and that is not available in the regular binary-* directories).
   netstd can later use "Replace:" to replace the binaries in that package
   or use "Replace:" and "Conflict:" if the package only contains ftp and
   telnet.

I won't use solution b) because ftp and telnet simply do not belong to
netbase. As I mentioned in a previous mail the purpose of the netbase
package is only to configure the network (ifconfig/route) and to get other
networking services up and running (inetd/portmapper).

It would be possible to use solution a) but it is not the optional solution.
So we probably have to use solution c). To do so the basedisk maintainer
should either add the ftp/telnet entries to an existing package or create a
new package at installation time (for example by using the following command:
echo -e "/usr/bin/ftp\n/usr/bin/telnet\n" >/var/lib/dpkg/info/xyz.list).

I just have to know the name of this package so I know which name I have to
use for the Replace/Conflicts line in the netstd control file.

Thanks,

Peter

--
Peter Tobias <tobias@et-inf.fho-emden.de> <tobias@debian.org> <tobias@linux.de>
PGP ID EFAA400D, fingerprint = 06 89 EB 2E 01 7C B4 02  04 62 89 6C 2F DD F1 3C