Re: netstd tools in the base system (was Re: What to do with /bin/perl symlink?)

On Tue, Apr 28, 1998 at 10:36:34AM -0400, Alex Yukhimets wrote:
> > - Remove usr/bin/ftp and usr/bin/telnet from the base system.
>
> Oh, no!
> Please don't remove them.
> They are very convenient and necessary tools when you are installing on some
> local network and to setup proper routing you need to chek other local
> machines and download some configuration files from them.
> Box without telnet and ftp is no box.

We have a little conflict here:

- The netbase maintainer says telnet should stay in netstd.

- I don't want to put the whole netstd (~1.2MB uncompressed) into the
  base system. (That would be one base floppy more).

- Files in the base system that don't belong to any package are a Bad
  Thing (there's an open bug report about that).

So, may someone build a telnet_*.deb package that I can put in the base
system?

(As you may have read in other message in this thread, I'm going to look
at the other ftp clients in Debian to put one of those instead of
the netsdt one).

	Thanks,
--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es