Re: X and Window Mangers

On Tue, Apr 28, 1998 at 11:19:36AM -0400, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>    Branden Robinson writes:
>     > The long-term plan is:
>     >
>     > 1) ship an empty /etc/X11/window-managers with xbase
>     > 2) mark it as a conffile
>     > 3) separate twm into its own package
>     > 4) write /usr/sbin/register-window-manager
>
>    I don't think shipping an empty file, and marking it as a conffile,
>    would be interesting.  If this file is going to be modified only by
>    the registering interface, then this should not be necessary.
>
> You also don't want to do this because dpkg will offer to replace your
> populated /etc/X11/window-managers with an empty one, which would be a
> Bad Thing (tm).

Well, I only wanted to make it conffile so dpkg wouldn't overwrite it
without prompting at all.  The only alternative is not to ship a
/etc/X11/window-managers file, but to conditionally create it in xbase's
postinst.  That means no package no package will claim knowledge of it,
which I hate.

Sounds like a job for "extrafiles".

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |
Purdue University                   | If God had intended for man to go about