Re: X and Window Mangers

On Mon, Apr 27, 1998 at 11:11:12PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> I was just setting up a new install and ran into the problem of wmaker
> configuring itself before /etc/X11/window-managers existed, it's postinst
> bombed.
>
> I presume some X package creates this file since dpkg can't find it, this
> also means that every window manager has a dependency on that package or
> has a bug.. (APT likes to configure the window manager before x* without
> a dependency to change that.)

/etc/X11/window-managers is created in xbase's postinst iff the file does
not already exist.

Elimination of behavior like this is on my List.

The long-term plan is:

1) ship an empty /etc/X11/window-managers with xbase
2) mark it as a conffile
3) separate twm into its own package
4) write /usr/sbin/register-window-manager

register-window-manager [pathname]
  with no arguments, enters interactive mode
  with one pathname argument, invokes interactive mode with "add" action
  and pathname already done, thus prompting for priority (see below)

register-window-manager --add pathname
  adds window-manager at pathname to bottom of list

register-window-manager --remove pathname
  removes window-manager at pathname from list

The interactive mode would display the non-comment contents of
/etc/X11/window-managers prepended with numbers from 1 to n and prompt
for an action (help, quit, add, remove, priority).  The add command
would prompt for a pathname and a priority (with a default of last),
the remove command would prompt for a name (basename accepted if no
collisions), the priority command would prompt for a name (basename
accepted if no collisions) and a priority (with a default of current
priority).

I have no idea when I'll get around to actually writing this.  I imagine it
would have applicability beyond just this one configuration file.

The non-interactive invocations are, of course, for use by window managers'
maintainer scripts.  I envision something like the following:

window-manager-postinst:

if [ $interactive = 1 ]; then      # I assume we'll have this someday
  register-window-manager /usr/bin/X11/window-manager
else
  register-window-manager --add /usr/bin/X11/window-manager
fi

window-manager-postrm:

register-window-manager --remove /usr/bin/X11/window-manager

Of course, all window managers will have to depend on xbase for this to
work.  Is there any reasonable scenario in which a user would have a
window manager installed but not xbase?

Comments very much welcome.

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |  I am sorry, but what you have mistaken
Purdue University                   |  for malicious intent is nothing more