Re: Boot Disks

On Mon, Apr 27, 1998 at 10:28:45AM -0700, vanco@sonic.net wrote:
> 	In my experience, debian's bootdisk problems are inherent to the
> entire "disk" method of installation. The way it is constructed (in hamm),
> it needs 9 brand-new disks, with no blemish. If even one disk has a few
> bad blocks on it (which rawrite doesn't tell you, and the inexperienced
> user won't notice until too late) it's too late to do anything.

Please, this is incorrect. The official CD is bootable, or you can run
a batch file in DOS in one directory (both require no floppies). Or
you can make just a boot disk, use resc1440.bin. There is no need to make
6 disks any more -- this was the Debian < 1.3 days.

The sensitivity to good disks is, as I understand it, caused by poor
BIOS floppy drivers and is independent of the Linux kernel, let alone
which distribution you are running.

> 	Additionally, the boot+root (single-disk) causes some problems. If
> one kernel refuses to boot on your computer, you are *required* to
> construct your own disks from a kernel and debian's rootdisk. This takes
> someone quite far along the larning curve, and should be avoided at a
> distribution's install level.

How do you propose to solve this?

Hamish