Re: why not mingetty??

Hallo erstmal!
Hi!

Hamish Moffatt (hamish@debian.org):
> Is agetty used much for serial? I always use mgetty here, although usually
> because I want something more exotic like AutoPPP or fax reception.

I use it for a null-modem link to another machine. In combination with
putting lilo on the same link (and maybe with 2.1.x's serial console
feature) this is a REALLY nice way to save a monitor, graphics card,
keyboard and to keep a way to connect to the box if the network is hosed.

I don't like the idea to switch to a getty without serial support. Maybe
we'll once enhance our setup to run over a serial line (as it's possible
with FreeBSD).

Regards
 Rainer

--
KeyID=58341901 fingerprint=A5 57 04 B3 69 88 A1 FB  78 1D B5 64 E0 BF 72 EB