Re: why not mingetty??

Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> wrote:
> The inittab setup is not different.  However, the only way to switch
> gettys is to change thme by hand.  This is because of agetty's priority,
> I could not remove agetty.

As I mentioned before, there is no agetty package, it's in util-linux.

[It would be good if mingetty could run with agetty config.]

> As far as quantifiable numbers -- I have no idea. However from a
> simple look, mingetty has NO serial dial in support or what not. It
> is strictly console. Obviously this is less intensive than agetty.

Why?  If no serial line is being serviced, all you have is a few
k of code that's not being run.

> I know RH ships w/ mingetty, and I think a few other dists do as well.
> Slack last I checked still used agetty. agetty is only needed if you
> have serial terminals or slow dialins. Anything more needs mgetty. Not
> too many of us use serial terms and those who do can figure out how to
> change a getty. Hell I did (-; I also like that mingetty clears the
> screen when you log out. It is very professional looking. Reminds me
> of the suns at school.

None of which addresses the concern that people who are currently using
agetty may depend on it.  [Though it might suffice to have the mingetty
preinst check for serial entries in /etc/inittab].

--
Raul