Re: Timezone messed up

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> wrote:
> Larry 'Daffy' Daffner wrote:
> > Another possibility is that your hardware clock is set to localtime,
> > and you rebooted after the timezone change but before anything that
> > wrote your hwclock. I don't think we write the hwclock back
> > anywhere.. Maybe somewhere in the rebooting process we should
> > write the correct current time back into the hwclock?
>
> I'm pretty sure that's what's happening. At least that's what happened to me
> last fall when the time changed. I ran hwclock manually this time to prevent
> it.
>
> What do you think, Guy?

     Where would the rebooting process get the correct current time to
correct the hwclock?

     Based on the way I have seen it behave, I believe that, if the
hwclock is set to local time, timezones assumes that it is set to the
correct local time, whether that is standard time or daylight savings
time.  If your machine is up when daylight savings time comes into
effect, it adds one hour to the system time, and it uses the timezone
data to change the displayed timezone abbreviation, but nothing else.
The next time it is rebooted, the system time is set from the hwclock,
so you need to manually put DST into the hwclock.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>