Re: Timezone messed up

Just another datapoint to muddy the waters ;-)

My machine is set to EST5EDT.
The hardware clock is set to Local Time.
My system time was correctly changed to EDT on Monday morning.
I did not reboot my machine until after running a script I have that uses
netdate to update the hardware clock, so I don't know if it would have
gone back...possibly.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that the change doesn't/shouldn't
have anything to do with the hardware clock being set to Local Time.
(It doesn't on my machine ;-)

Resetting the hardware clock from the system clock before shutdown still
seems to be a good idea though.

On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Bob Hilliard wrote:

> Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> wrote:
> > Larry 'Daffy' Daffner wrote:
> > > Another possibility is that your hardware clock is set to localtime,
> > > and you rebooted after the timezone change but before anything that
> > > wrote your hwclock. I don't think we write the hwclock back
> > > anywhere.. Maybe somewhere in the rebooting process we should
> > > write the correct current time back into the hwclock?
> >
> > I'm pretty sure that's what's happening. At least that's what happened to me
> > last fall when the time changed. I ran hwclock manually this time to prevent
> > it.
> >
> > What do you think, Guy?
>
>      Where would the rebooting process get the correct current time to
> correct the hwclock?
>
>      Based on the way I have seen it behave, I believe that, if the
> hwclock is set to local time, timezones assumes that it is set to the
> correct local time, whether that is standard time or daylight savings
> time.  If your machine is up when daylight savings time comes into
> effect, it adds one hour to the system time, and it uses the timezone
> data to change the displayed timezone abbreviation, but nothing else.
> The next time it is rebooted, the system time is set from the hwclock,
> so you need to manually put DST into the hwclock.
>
> Bob
> --
>    _
>   |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>
>   |_) (_) |_)      Palm City, FL  USA    PGP Key ID: A8E40EB9
>

> --

Dwarf