Re: Problems with equivs

On Sun, Apr 05, 1998 at 11:28:31PM -0700, Darren/Torin/Who Ever... wrote:

> I can't seem to use equivs correctly.  I have the following
> /etc/equivs.conf:
> kernel-headers-2.0.32, mbr
> It generates the following equivs package:
> {3}[0]~ kitchen:-) dpkg --print-avail equivs
> Package: equivs
> Installed-Size: 38
> Maintainer: Paul Seelig <pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de>
> Architecture: all
> Version: 1.0.5-3
> Provides: kernel-headers-2.0.32, mbr
> Size: 7798
>
> But apt-get update gives me the following:
> Updating package file cache...done
> Updating package status cache...done
> Checking system integrity...dependency error
> Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they have unmet
> dependencies:
>   libc6-dev: Depends:kernel-headers-2.0.32
>   lilo: Depends:mbr
> {-}[100]/var/lib/dpkg kitchen#
>
> Now, I don't want to install mbr since I want lilo to manage my
> boot-records.  I have no reason to use another bm.  I also have
> kernel-headers-2.0.33 installed and don't need kernel-headers-2.0.32.
> So, how do I use equivs to convince apt-get update that things really
> are fine...
>
> DarrenE

The problem is not with equivs or APT, is with dpkg. In the packaging
manual, chapter 8 (I don't hurry you to read although is a good source
of info about what going on when you install a pacakge), it said that
Provides cannot resolved dependencies with version. It said also that
they are some place to let Provides: provided some versionning
information and Jason says me then even APT understand it. The
problems is with dpkg who don't. When dpkg will know about provided
version (what I think it's a good thing), apt will do too. Now, you
have to convince the debian developpers that it's a Good Thing[TM].

Fabien Ninoles
E-mail: fab@tzone.org
WebPage: http://www.callisto.si.usherb.ca/~94246757
You can get my public key from your nearest public keys server!
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70