Re: I plan to remove fdisk from the next util-linux

On Mon 30 Mar 1998, Tim Sailer wrote:
> Bob Hilliard wrote:
> >
> > Amos Shapira <amos@gezernet.co.il> wrote:
> > > personal experience indicated that every time I ran cfdisk (mainly
> > > during installation of Debian) cfdisk screwed things up and I had to
> >
> >      My single experience with cfdisk was similar to this.  It was so
> > long ago that I can't remember the details of the problems.  I have
> > happily used fdisk ever since, without any problems.  I have used some
> > pretty complex partitioning setups (ten partitions on /dev/hda at the
> > moment).
>
> I've also had a problem partitioning new drives with cfdisk. I have
> to use fdisk to write the initial table, then cfdisk runs OK..

I hate to do this, but Me Too. I've never had any problems whatsoever
with fdisk, and I've used it in all sorts of situations (IDE, SCSI, mix
of both, ...).  I'd hate to see it go.

I've had a peek at the bugs reported against fdisk, and they don't look
very serious or anything that can't be fixed with a _little_ effort.
If the util-linux maintainer doesn't have the time to maintain fdisk
properly, maybe it should be split off as a separate package? I might be
willing to take it over in that case.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl