Re: Crypto export

"Lalo Martins" wrote:
  >Good morning folks... here I am back to debian-devel!
  >
  >Well, one of the packages I registered to do is edssl. [If you
  >know what this is, or you're not interested, skip this
  >paragraph.] It is a SSL "dumb" proxy; this means it encrypts,
  >decrypts and forward connections. You can connect to it with
  >http and it connects to somewhere else as shhtp, working as a
  >shhtp proxy for Lynx and export Mozilla, for example; or it can
  >accept a shttp connection and forward it as http, adding shttp
  >to any web server; or it can do the same for news, or anything
  >that has an "s" equivalent; there's even a setup to encrypt X.
  >
  >Problem is, the original developer is in US. When I found this
  >out (I didn't knew at first, because I downloaded from replay) I
  >thought, "well damn, no deal".

The illegality is in the downloading; since you've already done that
you might as well continue!  Your timezone appears to indicate that
you are outside US authority; just don't go there now.

  >       But then we came out with the
  >idea of printing the (rather small) sources and getting them
  >mailed to me. I know this is legal, but would it be acceptable
  >for Debian?

I can't see why it shouldn't be acceptable; it isn't as if the US
regulations had any validity either in morality or common sense.  However,
considering what I said above, this is now a waste of effort.

As I see it, it is against US regulations to export security
stuff from the USA.  Once it is out, we can do what we like with it.
So it has to go into non-us, but it doesn't matter how it got out of the
USA.  We won't encourage anyone to break US regulations; but you've
already done that...