Re: Crypto export

Oliver Elphick wrote:

> I can't see why it shouldn't be acceptable; it isn't as if the US
> regulations had any validity either in morality or common sense.

I would have to absolutley agre with you there but then again...

> As I see it, it is against US regulations to export security
> stuff from the USA.  Once it is out, we can do what we like with it.
> So it has to go into non-us, but it doesn't matter how it got out of the
> USA.  We won't encourage anyone to break US regulations; but you've
> already done that...

Thats NOT true...<starting nitpick mode>he has NOT broken US reglations....not at
all.
He is outside the jurisdiction of the US...therefore the regulations do not apply
to him
thus he cannot break them.
Someone should however let the server which he downloaded them FROM know
about this (if it is inside the US that is..is replay inside the US...thats the
one he
said he got it from) also...the original developer COULD get in trouble
(remember Phil Zimmerman a few years back...although they did
drop the lawsuit against him so...maybe they realize its not worth it?)
according to the US regulations it is whoever is doing the exporting that is
breaking the law
(even the US is not arrogent enough to claim that our loaws apply to peopl ein
othr countries....not yet anyway)
..sigh...its reaosns like this I hate living in the USA...oh well...

--
True story signature:
I once challenged a NT-loving co-worker to a test: We each take a PC and a person

with no computer knowledge. The test is to see which new user can be taught and
setup a PC from scratch with no previous knowledge a Webserver and DNS server. My

"student" would use Linux and his NT 4.0. He accepted but then called the
challenge
tottally unfair when I suggested we use identical 486sx 25 MHz computers with 8
MB
of RAM. Can somebody tell me why that is unfair?