Re: ppp and new users (was: Re: Tecnology and marketing)

Gregory S. Stark writes:
> There's a world of difference between a user using a text editor on a
> file, and having a script that tries to edit the file automatically.

Automatic? pppconfig is quite interactive.  Note that the only thing I
propose to have pppconfig do to resolv.conf is stick a nameserver in it iff
there isn't one there already, and that only with the user's permission.

> Basically, either a user should be editting a file,...

Using the tool of her choice.

> I'm suggesting a package adopt resolv.conf and provide a script for
> adjusting it.

Fine.

> After further thought I think the libc6 package should adopt it.

Why libc6?  Why not bind?  That's where the man page is.

> No other package (meaning no other program in the package of course,
> that's the only way packages _do_ anything) should try to edit
> configuration files directly.

The only way *packages* "do anything" is by having their scripts run by
dpkg.  That is what Debian policy regulates, as I understand it.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)