Re: ppp and new users (was: Re: Tecnology and marketing)

john@dhh.gt.org writes:
 > MTA configuration doesn't seem like the right place to be editing
 > /etc/resolv.conf, but that's the way it is.
 >
 > I need to think about how to handle DNS with multiple providers.  I hate
 > the idea of mucking with /etc/resolv.conf on every call.
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Why muck with something you don't need?  From resolv.conf(5)

RESOLVER(5)                    11,                    RESOLVER(5)

NAME
       resolver - resolver configuration file

SYNOPSIS
       /etc/resolv.conf

DESCRIPTION
       The  resolver  is  a  set  of  routines  in  the C library
       (resolv(3)) that provide access  to  the  Internet  Domain
       Name  System.   The  resolver  configuration file contains
       information that is read  by  the  resolver  routines  the
       first  time  they  are  invoked by a process.  The file is
       designed to be human readable and contains a list of  key­
       words  with  values that provide various types of resolver
       information.

       On a normally configured system this file  should  not  be
       necessary.   The only name server to be queried will be on
       ^^^^^^^^^
       the local machine, the domain name is determined from  the
       host  name, and the domain search path is constructed from
       the domain name.

The file /var/named/boot.options is setup by /usr/sbin/bindconfig,
and will contain the DNS forwarders that you tell it to.  I guess
that if you aren't running bind, then you do need /etc/resolv.conf
after all.

Cheers,

--
Jeff Sheinberg  <jeffsh@erols.com>