Re: ppp and new users (was: Re: Tecnology and marketing)

Jeff Sheinberg writes:
> Why muck with something you don't need?  From resolv.conf(5)

> On a normally configured system this file  should  not  be
>       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  necessary.

These are not "normally configured" systems.  They are dialup boxes with
dynamic addresses and intermittent connections.

> I guess that if you aren't running bind, then you do need
> /etc/resolv.conf after all.

As long as the system is dialing into only one isp, we can just put the
nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf and be happy.  The problem comes when the
user wants to be able to dial in to several isps.  He should use the name
servers of the isp he is currently connected to.  The obvious way to do
this is to put all the nameservers in resolv.conf and re-order it for each
connection.  I find this distasteful.  Is there a cleaner way to achieve a
the same result with bind?