Re: Initial draft proposed constitution (v0.3)

> Do we need secret voting ?  It seems to me that publicising votes
> after the fact of a vote would be quite fine in our case, and greatly
> reduces the possibility of fraud.

I haven't mentioned it publically yet, but I've been working on creating
a system to automate the voting process as described in the constitution
Of course, it will implement what is in the final version, but this is
how I was planning on implementing this aspect.

All interaction with the voting system is done through PGP signed mail.
There is a vote results page that shows who has voted to date. It could
if people wish also show the current tally. People can, at any time,
have their vote mailed to them (encrypted using their PGP public key).
I was also planning on letting people change their vote at any time before
the deadline.

Whether people can change their vote should be mentioned in the constitution.

> I think we should however include the restriction that the current
> tallies not be revealed during a vote.  Otherwise people are
> encouraged not to vote until the last minute, because that way they
> have the best chance of winning by surprise.  This make the outcome
> far too random.

I wasn't worried about this and was planning on showing the tally.
But, if people are allowed to change their vote, the picture is even worse.
People can vote the wrong way initially, and by changing their vote have a
much stronger affect on the results. This combined with a running tally
would be a dangerous combination. Many people could be lulled into not
voting since they might think that the vote is going their way.
By keeping some people from voting, vote switchers would have OVER double
the voting power.

As an aside, during the last federal election announcements of the results
of voting in eastern Canada had a dramatic effect on end of the day
voting in British Columbia. This doesn't support my case of showing
a running tally, but I believe we're better educated than the population
at large.

To sum it up, I feel we can allow running tallies or allow people to change
their vote, but not both.

- Jay