Re: Taking up packaging xdir

> (Alex Yukhimets) wrote:
> > Are you talking about llnlxdir?
>
> That is right.
>

>     Permission to use, copy, modify and distribute this software and its
>     documentation for any non-commercial purpose, without fee, is
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^
This makes it go to non-free.

>     hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this
>     permission notice appear in all copies of the software and
>     supporting documentation, and that all UC LLNL identification in
>     the user interface remain unchanged.

> It is not GNU.  Could some learned soul tell me if this will fit into the
> Debian Manifesto?  xftp, which is distributed under a similar (same?)
> license is part of 'main'.

No, we don't have llnlxftp in the distribution. Unfortunately,
llnlxftp is segfaulting with Motif 2.0 absolutely shamelessly.
(Probably because some memory leaks were fixed in this Motif release).
I don't think it worth packaging it because of this problem and because
it will be completely obsoleted by my WXftp client, alpha version of
which I am going to release very soon.

> > Also, if this is llnlxdir you are talking about, are you going to package
> > -?motif or try this with lessitf?

> I have compiled it with lesstif (gcc spit out many warnings but compiled).
> It seems to work OK.

If that's true, I guess you should just go ahead and package it for non-free.
I would suggest some thorough testing before. I have a feeling that it
might segfault in some very unexpected places.
Having -?motif packages would be a nice thing though...

Thanks.

Alex Y.
--
   _