Re: Intent to package japhar

    >> Well, we can patch lesstif to work w/ NS 5 and then add Japhar
    >> to it so we have Java again.  Sounds good to me.  Hope NS left
    >> the hooks for Java in.

    Alex> Combining Motif-based NS with JDK
    Alex> linux port would be the best solution now, IMO. Especially
    Alex> taking into account the possibility to have JAVA as a
    Alex> plug-in to Netscape - Sun already released such a plug-in
    Alex> for win32 and Solaris platforms - works with both Netscape
    Alex> (3 and up) and IE (3.? and up). In this case NS (Mozilla)
    Alex> can be in contrib and plug-in in non-free.

Some of us with a vested interested in all this (like me, the jdk
maintainer) are already watching the Mozilla/Java/Jzilla developments.

AFAIK, the hooks to an OpenJava framework have been left in, but there's
no JVM (as Ben has mentioned previously).  Several folks have expressed
interest in an all-Java version of Mozilla, though that's likely to take
a while (first step is to get Mozilla modulerised enough to convert it
into JNI classes).  The rest of us are waiting to see the source before
going further.

--
Stephen (who's still hoping against hope that Sun will follow NS's licensing)
---