Re: Fwd: HAMM FREEZE (removed packages)

Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Christian and I discussed this and decided on that simply because it
> > should be fixed and it's extremely easy to fix.  I don't think it's
> > a big deal if it doesn't get fixed except that there is no excuse not
> > to fix it.
>
> Lack of available effort ?  Even simply recompiling packages takes
> effort.

Amen! I've been fixing some of these. Not all the packages build cleanly on
my machine. Those that do, I often have to download tens of MB's of source
over a 28.8 link (I would have the source, but I don't mirror
project/orphaned..). Yes, these are trivial bugs to fix, but that doesn't
mean fixing 100 of them is easy.

> I disagree strongly.  The effect of making trivial bugs
> release-critical in this way is much more to remove perfectly good
> packages rather than to get people to fix bugs.
>
> I think we should base decisions on what goes into the distribution on
> `does this package in its current state enhance or detract from the
> distribution'.
>
> The best way to get bugs fixed is to fix them.
>
> Would anyone object, then, if I went and turned all the lintian
> md5sums bugs into severity `normal' ?

I sure wouldn't. I'd rather concentrate on real critical bugs like /tmp/$$
bugs.

--
see shy jo