Re: Fwd: HAMM FREEZE (removed packages)

> > I've removed the following packages from Hamm because they still have
> > critical, grave, or important bugs registered against them.  To get them
> > back in the archive, simply upload a version to "frozen" that fixes _all_
> > of the open critical, grave, and important bugs registered against that
> > package.
>
> I have examined this list, and I hope Brian doesn't mind, but I've
> second-guessed a number of these decisions.

No, I don't mind.  I had to go on a rather limited knowledge of the
packages and what other people said.

> I've been working my way through the list, and find that most or
> nearly most of the removed packages have been removed because of a
> Lintian bug `md5sums-lists-nonexisting-file'.
>
> I think this bug should not be `Severity: important', as the existence
> or contents of the md5sums file is not mandated by policy.

Christian and I discussed this and decided on that simply because it
should be fixed and it's extremely easy to fix.  I don't think it's
a big deal if it doesn't get fixed except that there is no excuse not
to fix it.

> With respect to other bugs I invite discussion or comment, or Brian to
> act if he agrees.

The "incomplete without (I)" and "better off with (B)" packages are all
reasonable.  Since I'm going to have to regenerate my master list (see
below), though, I haven't taken any action as of yet.

I think the "simple (S)" should still be removed in order to force people
to fix these trivial bugs, but I'm flexible since it's not a big deal
either way.

> I haven't yet checked the following packages:

Before you go any further, it would be a good idea to wait until Guy
actually freezes the distribution.  Currently, "slink" does not exist
and packages are still going into "hamm".  The changes I made have caused
him some problems so it's taking him longer than expected.

I'll have to regenerate the list of packages because packages may have
been uploaded that only fix some of the >=important bugs and yet still
be present in the distribution.

On the plus side, though...  Bugs can have their priorities changed and
those changes will automatically be included in my list.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )