Re: GS, fonts, type1inst, dtm & Co.

On Thu, Mar 19, 1998 at 03:39:24PM +0100, Marco Pistore wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
> > Uh! Can you tell me ore about that. I thought you need one Fontmap
> > for every dir containing fonts. If you can use just *one* fontmap in
> > etc just put it there, even without links to /usr/lib/gs/...
> > BTW, that will help *a lot* dtm too.
> >
> > Ciao,

[nice explanation snipped]

> For GS to access to the Fontmap file, however, this has to be in
> GS's serach path (or gs has to be patched, which is really not a problem).
> The best solution, for the moment seems to me an unique fontmap file
> in /etc/gs.Fontmap and a link to it from one of the gs directories
> (for instance, /usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts/Fontmap).
>
> Otherwise, we can decide to leave the fontmap file in /usr/lib/... for the
> moment, and to decide where to put it when dtm is ready. In this case,
> however, a sysadmin has to modify a non-conffile if she wants
> to install local fonts (for instance by using font1inst).

I think is better to have the fontmap in /etc and be a conffile. A link
from /usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts/Fontmap is the best, IMHO. I *don't*
like having the sysadmin modify the Fontmap, because once dtm is
in place it's easy to loose some fonts if she modify a machine
generated file. (Obviously I don't know how to solve that, at now.)

Thanks,

* Federico Di Gregorio  |  /      *-=$< ;-) TeX Wizard?            *
* Debian developer!     | / -1    pgp: finger fog@perosa.alpcom.it *
* <friend of penguins>  |/        try http://www.debian.org        *
******************DE 9E B2 75 B4 F6 CC 5B  C3 D5 71 51 04 AB F3 B2**