Re: GS, fonts, type1inst, dtm & Co.

On Wed, Mar 18, 1998 at 01:32:39PM +0100, Marco Pistore wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
> > > Since now, however, the Fontmap file has to be a configuration file and
> > > has to be moved into /etc, since the system managers are supposed to
> > > modify it after running type1inst.
> > >
> > > So, is it OK for you if i /usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts/Fontmap becomes a
> > > link to /etc/gs.Fontmap ?
> > Can you wait just a little more until i have a working version of dtm?
> > Then we can discuss where to put the fonts and how to manage them.
>
> No problem in delaying this discussion.
Fine.

> However, since type1inst will be included in hamm (and, more in general,
> the sysadmin should have the possibility to install local fonts for gs),
> i think that Fontmap should become a conffile NOW (or the sysadmins
> will have to modify a file in /usr/lib).
>
> > I think type1inst should only be used to install local fonts,
> > because is not well integrated in the system. Can we have
> > sysadmin put fonts in /usr/local/share/fonts/... and have gs
> > add  that as a font lib (gs can be compiled with multiple paths, just
> > has having GS_LIB defined with multiple dirs, isn't it?)
>
> It is even possible to put relative paths in the Fontmap file (to avoid to
> compile gs with all the font dirs hardcoded).
Uh! Can you tell me ore about that. I thought you need one Fontmap
for every dir containing fonts. If you can use just *one* fontmap in
etc just put it there, even without links to /usr/lib/gs/...
BTW, that will help *a lot* dtm too.

Ciao,

* Federico Di Gregorio  |  /      *-=$< ;-) TeX Wizard?            *
* Debian developer!     | / -1    pgp: finger fog@perosa.alpcom.it *
* <friend of penguins>  |/        try http://www.debian.org        *
******************DE 9E B2 75 B4 F6 CC 5B  C3 D5 71 51 04 AB F3 B2**