Re: Fwd: HAMM FREEZE (removed packages)

On Thu, Mar 19, 1998 at 03:30:09PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

> B - the distribution would be better off with the package (even
>     broken)
> E - the distribution would be better off with the package broken but
>     in extra

> @ - the package should be reinstated and made extra

Ian,

I disagree with this "image" of the extra section. The extra section is just
another part of the main distribution, and all packages in the main
distribution should be compared by the same quality standard.

"B" and "E" above shouldn't be different. If a package is too important to
be dropped, we have to include it (even if it has known important bugs).
Else just drop it.

But let us not get "extra" a synonym for buggy. Or we will end with
maintainers putting packages in extra just because they are to lazy to fix
them. We had the same problem with contrib, and raised the standard on
contrib just to avoid this very problem, IIRC.

Thank you,
Marcus
PS: see also my mail on debian-policy