Re: Are we in this for ourselves?

bruce@va.debian.org wrote:

> John,
>
> I agree with everything you say! I don't think I have much choice, though.
> We've let the bad apples become a dominant force in the distribution. It's
> not really an option for me to say "OK, screw things up as much as you like,
> I'll just kiss your butt and try to clean up after you as best as I can".
>
>         Thanks
>
>         Bruce

Bruce,

This is certainly an unfortunate thing to have to deal with, but there
are a couple of things that come to my mind. I think you are doing
exceptional work for the free software community and should continue
to do so. Debian has had more coverage lately than at any point that
I can remember since I have been following it. But you also seem to be
playing the role of project leader, and maybe this isn't where you
energy should be focused. Where does SPI end and Debian begin?

We have a silent leader, and that is unfortunate. I wish Ian would take
a more active role. Even if I don't always agree with you I at least
respect that you have the smarts to bring to light issues that, whatever
we think, are important in the long run.

Big projects require real management. This is something that is lacking
in the free software community. Debian as it is now is very decentralized
although I don't know if this will be a good or bad thing in the long
run.

I for one would encourage you to stay on at SPI. There are still many
important things to do. I don't think you should kiss butt, but if you
want to deal with touchy subjects, you have to expect a fierce debate.

Thanks,

Merrick

---
Merrick Schincariol