Re: Splitting the distribution for CDs

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Joost Kooij wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > > Can Deity handle several CDs sequentially ?  (If not, what will we do ?)
> >
> > I think that at least dselect can handle this fine. Just keep al the
> > packages mentioned in one Packages file (which /could/ be duplicated on
> > the second cd.) One would then only need to run "Install" on each cd in
> > turn. The only care that needs to be taken is to ensure that no packages
> > on the first cd depend on stuff that is on the second cd.
>
> Note, that by current policy (section 2.2) `no package may depend on a
> package with lower priority value.'  Thus, if we put only packages out
> of main with priority required to standard on the first CD-ROM, and
> everything else on the second, everything should be fine.

Also note, that library packages are an exception to this. As far as I can
see, libg++272 is the only 'Standard' lib package. All other lib packages
are either 'Optional' (most) or 'Extra' (few). I haven't checked what
policy says about this. It should be safe to put all lib packages on the
first CD, I think.

Remco
--
blaakmeer: 10:15pm  up 7 days,  9:21,  9 users,  load average: 1.44, 1.46, 1.38