Re: Are we in this for ourselves?

On Wed, Mar 18, 1998 at 03:12:10AM -0000, bruce@va.debian.org wrote:
> I agree with everything you say! I don't think I have much choice, though.
> We've let the bad apples become a dominant force in the distribution. It's
> not really an option for me to say "OK, screw things up as much as you like,
> I'll just kiss your butt and try to clean up after you as best as I can".

Have we let the "bad apples" become a dominant force?  If you read
debian-devel for the past month or so you might think that.  But if
you look at the product - hamm - have things become screwed up?  Is
the quality lagging of late?

>From my perspective the answer is a definite _no_, in fact I think the
quality is improving at a phenomenal rate.  I also don't think debian
is becoming a less used distribution.  Just by looking at the number
of recent new developers it seems clear that debian is expanding.
Perhaps RedHat is expanding at a greater rate but I don't see this as
a problem, as I've never considered RedHat a competiter.  I think
Debian best embodies the Linux philosophy of succeeding by being
better.

This is not to say that our efforts do not need a successful marketing
strategy and a strong spokesperson, which is why I would like to add
my voice to those asking you to reconsider.  (realizing of course, that
your life isn't a democracy for us to vote on :)

Jim

Jim Mintha, Geography System Administrator, U.B.C.
mintha@geog.ubc.ca, or jmintha@debian.org  <www.geog.ubc.ca/jim>
Home: 604 731-7240  Work: 604 822-2174  Fax: 604 822-6150

Where you want to be tommorow... Debian GNU/Linux <www.debian.org>