GS, fonts, type1inst, dtm & Co.

On Tue, Mar 17, 1998 at 02:39:22PM +0100, Marco Pistore wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Yann Dirson wrote:
> > Jim Pick writes:
> >  > I wasn't aware that dtm even existed!  I must have skipped the
> >  > discussion/announcement.
> >
> > AFAIR, there was little discussion, as nearly noone seemed to be
> > interested in that font handling :(
> >

> I (gs maintainer) am really interested (Federico's announce of dtm is on
> the top of my todo folder :). I had no time to work on this for Debian
> 2.0, but i'll be happy to have a gs font manager for 2.1 and dtm looks
> very interesting.
The only working version of dtm (0.2) had the ability to generate
Fontmaps on the fly. The only thing you need to do is to provide
a "catalog snippet" for every font you want to install.

> Since now, however, the Fontmap file has to be a configuration file and
> has to be moved into /etc, since the system managers are supposed to
> modify it after running type1inst.
>
> So, is it OK for you if i /usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts/Fontmap becomes a
> link to /etc/gs.Fontmap ?
The best thing, IMHO, is to have in /usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts
only the gs fonts (.gsf, harshey) and in /usr/share/fonts/... the
REAL Type1 fonts (the ones compatible with ATM) installed by the
packages. The sysadmin can install fonts somewhere else (local?) by hand
(type1inst) or have dtm install the font for him in /usr/share/...
Can you wait just a little more until i have a working version of dtm?
Then we can discuss where to put the fonts and how to manage them.

> If this is OK, Jim, could you please correct the documentation of
> type1inst so that it refers to that file (rather than to
> /usr/lib/ghostscript/M.NN/Fontmap)?
I think type1inst should only be used to install local fonts,
because is not well integrated in the system. Can we have
sysadmin put fonts in /usr/local/share/fonts/... and have gs
add  that as a font lib (gs can be compiled with multiple paths, just
has having GS_LIB defined with multiple dirs, isn't it?)

Ciao,
						Federico

P.S. Non avevo notato che il maintainer di gs fosse italiano!!!