Re: Seeing arps but not pings on new hamm install?

On 17 Mar 1998, Darren/Torin/Who Ever... wrote:

> I've got a Compaq LTE Lite 4/33c that I thought I'd install hamm on to
> see how well the process worked.
> the install but I couldn't reach the outside world.  As I investigated
> further, I could see that everything seemed to be set up correctly.
> ifconfig eth0 was happy; netstat -r -n was happy.  arp -a -n was showing
> all 0's for mac addresses though...
> I logged onto my router to see what I could from there.  I tried pinging
> the router from the laptop.  I received arps and sent them back but no
> icmp ping packets were going through.  I was perplexed.  I set the
> router and nameserver mac addresses manually with arp -s on the laptop.

Don't set MAC address by hand using 'arp' -- it just obscures the real
problem.

You might have a routing problem.  Use 'route -n' to verify that the
installed routes are correct.  Or perhaps you have a cable problem.
Use 'cat /proc/net/dev' to see that packets are physically flowing between
the boxes.

If the IRQ line on the 3c509 is physically blocked (a physical IRQ conflict)
packets will be transmitted but not received.  This can be verified by
checking /proc/interrupts, which should increment for every Rx packet and
every Tx error.
Typically this occurs with a sound card that is using IRQ5 or IRQ10 but
hasn't registered with the kernel.  (Grrr, both a harware and Linux sound
driver problem.)

Change the IRQ line with a module option or LILO parameter as described in
  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/3c509.html
or using the EEPROM setup program on the card
  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/setup/index.html

BTW, remember that 'ping' is reporting the number of queued packets, not the
number actually sent.

> The arp messages that I get on my router when I try to ping the router
> from the laptop are:
> %ARP-6-900, 17-Mar-1998 00:01:35.440
> Received a message on if en01, op = 1, spa = 204.122.30.5,
>         sea = 00-60-08-97-22-d2,tpa = 204.122.30.2
>
> %ARP-6-902, 17-Mar-1998 00:01:44.302
> Sent a message on if en01, op = 2, spa = 204.122.30.5,
>         sea = 00-00-a9-06-17-3b,tpa = 204.122.30.1
>
> I get an entry in the routing table of the router but no icmp ping
> packets are showing up back on the laptop.

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/people/becker/whoiam.html