Re: GS, fonts, type1inst, dtm & Co.

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
> > Since now, however, the Fontmap file has to be a configuration file and
> > has to be moved into /etc, since the system managers are supposed to
> > modify it after running type1inst.
> >
> > So, is it OK for you if i /usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts/Fontmap becomes a
> > link to /etc/gs.Fontmap ?
> Can you wait just a little more until i have a working version of dtm?
> Then we can discuss where to put the fonts and how to manage them.

No problem in delaying this discussion.

However, since type1inst will be included in hamm (and, more in general,
the sysadmin should have the possibility to install local fonts for gs),
i think that Fontmap should become a conffile NOW (or the sysadmins
will have to modify a file in /usr/lib).

> I think type1inst should only be used to install local fonts,
> because is not well integrated in the system. Can we have
> sysadmin put fonts in /usr/local/share/fonts/... and have gs
> add  that as a font lib (gs can be compiled with multiple paths, just
> has having GS_LIB defined with multiple dirs, isn't it?)

It is even possible to put relative paths in the Fontmap file (to avoid to
compile gs with all the font dirs hardcoded).

Thanks,

Marco