Re: Taking over vnc, vnc-doc. Also xdm information request.

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 1998 at 09:58:40PM +0100, Bart Schuller wrote:

> > Isn't the point of vnc that Xvnc is someone's *personal* X server that
> > she can leave running and come back to from another machine? You even
> > have to give it a password. Combining it with xdm makes no sense.

> Sure. But it would be nice to have the servers dynamically started on
> request. They can stay (like "screen" sessions), but I would like to provide
> an idiot proof way to use a Debian X server from Windows 95 boxes. XWin32
> works fine but is too expensive for this. This is not exactly what xdm does,
> because the client/server role is swapped, but you get what I mean.

There are two solutions that I see:

  Write a mini-webserver/cgi program that authenticates the user,
  changes to the user's id, starts Xvnc if the user doesn't have an
  existing Xvnc session, and passes a redirect to the Xvnc web
  server. (This would require the user authenticate twice if the
  server isn't already running.)

  If you want to use the Windows client (rather than the Java one) -
  write a program on the client side that invokes the first half of
  the above system and then spawns the Windows client with the
  appropriate arguments.  With the help of cygwin.dll, this could be
  done by a programmer with little Windows expertise (but it wouldn't
  work on Windows 3.1).

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu