Re: Taking over vnc, vnc-doc. Also xdm information request.

On Mon, Mar 16, 1998 at 05:38:50PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 1998 at 12:02:11PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > > Forget my previous message. It has security problems, because all users can
> > > connect to an open session, can't they?
> > Yes, that's right. Bloody annoying, too. :-(
>
> I too don't think that vnc is very sophisticated in security. If I
> understand more about X authority, maybe I have an idea for a solution
> (anyone else?).

Isn't the point of vnc that Xvnc is someone's *personal* X server that
she can leave running and come back to from another machine? You even
have to give it a password. Combining it with xdm makes no sense.

What may make sense is when someone starts up X (either by logging in
via xdm or explicitly), the session tries to contact a previously
started Xvnc and if found, doesn't start any clients except a full
screen vncviewer. Optionally start a new Xvnc if none found, this time
populating it with the normal clients (windowmanager and whatnot).

--
Bart Schuller                  schuller+sig@lunatech.com At Lunalabs, where the
Lunatech Research              http://www.lunatech.com/  future is made today..