Re: Taking over vnc, vnc-doc. Also xdm information request.

On Mon, Mar 16, 1998 at 09:58:40PM +0100, Bart Schuller wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 1998 at 05:38:50PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > > Yes, that's right. Bloody annoying, too. :-(
> >
> > I too don't think that vnc is very sophisticated in security. If I
> > understand more about X authority, maybe I have an idea for a solution
> > (anyone else?).
>
> Isn't the point of vnc that Xvnc is someone's *personal* X server that
> she can leave running and come back to from another machine? You even
> have to give it a password. Combining it with xdm makes no sense.

Sure. But it would be nice to have the servers dynamically started on
request. They can stay (like "screen" sessions), but I would like to provide
an idiot proof way to use a Debian X server from Windows 95 boxes. XWin32
works fine but is too expensive for this. This is not exactly what xdm does,
because the client/server role is swapped, but you get what I mean.

> What may make sense is when someone starts up X (either by logging in
> via xdm or explicitly), the session tries to contact a previously
> started Xvnc and if found, doesn't start any clients except a full
> screen vncviewer. Optionally start a new Xvnc if none found, this time
> populating it with the normal clients (windowmanager and whatnot).

This requires just a little scripting in your session file. grep for Xvnc
command in ps output and connect to it. If the window is "full screen"
depends on the server's framebuffer. There is no way to change it after
invocation.

But maybe it is overhead to do it this way. There is a svgaviewer included
in the next upload of vnc. It is faster than X, also a bit unstable (it has
keymaps problems and whatever).

Thank you,
Marcus